Zuppa di Carote e Zenzero
There are tons of great and not-so-delicious carrot soup recipes on the internet and in cookbooks… After analyzing a few and trying a couple, this is my own adaptation that I find to be the best combination of elements so far. While I admit that heavy cream is a delicious ingredient, I really don’t like to add cream to my soup unless I’m making a winter meal and I’m planning to eat a higher-calorie dish. I have tried adding a cup of whey (a freezer staple from my cheesemaking efforts) to this recipe, which adds nutrient-rich flavor to the soup, and I liked the results.
QuattroPorzioni (4 servings)
Ingredienti – Ingredients
5 Large Carrots, washed, peeled and medium diced
2 Cloves Garlic, peeled and halved
1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Fresh Ginger, peeled and grated or minced (I used a segment about 2¨ long)
2 Cups Veggie/Chicken Stock
1 Lemon, juiced
Dash of Cayenne
Salt and Pepper, to taste
For garnish: Fresh chopped Parsley, homemade Croutons, Pecorino Romano
Istruzioni – Instructions
1. In medium pot, sauté Garlic and Ginger in the oil about 1 minute (do not brown).
2. Add Carrots and toss with Garlic and Oil until carrots begin to soften.
3. Remove Garlic pieces (if desired) then add Stock, Lemon Juice, and season to taste.
4. Simmer until carrots are cooked, then remove pot from stove and place in sink.
5. Purée soup with an immersion blender to desired consistency (about 2-5 minutes). **
6. Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve hot.
** For more flavor and protein, add a diced chicken breast or tofu