Are you ready for your upcoming trip to Italy? Maybe you’d like to know a few phrases to be polite with the locals and learn a little vocabulary to help you eat well and arrive safely at your destinations? Gaining cultural insight and organizing your itinerary to maximize your time on vacation in Italy can be of great help…
So, why not get registered for the next round of Italian Inspirations Beginners Workshops, Continuing Beginners & Intermediate Conversation Classes being offered through Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island Parks & Rec?
Visit my Classes page for schedule info and register online or call today to guarantee your place in class! Fun is guaranteed & sampling Italian foods is often part of the lessons…
Online Registration Links & Contact Info:
Maybe it speaks to my personality, but I like a nutty pesto…
Here’s my most recently created (and favorite-to-date) pesto recipe. When tossing with pasta, be sure to add any fresh veggies that are ripe in your garden or that inspire you at your local farmers’ market…a mix of raw and cooked items will add texture and color to this delicious summer staple. (Small dice potatoes boil in 14 min, chopped green beans take 7 min; you can put them in pasta pot at appropriate times and strain when everything is done – al dente, of course!)
Italian Inspirations Nutty Basil Pesto (for 6 servings of pasta)
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (organic, first cold-pressed)
1-2 Garlic Cloves, peeled (more if you like dragon breath!)
1 Cup Pecans
1/4 Cup Cashews
1/4 Cup Almonds
Zest of 1/2 Lemon (organic)
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, freshly squeezed
1 Bunch Basil (large), wash, pat dry, de-stem
1 Cup Grated Cheese(s) (Pecorino Romano, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Asiago, Grana Padano), add more or less to taste
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Cayenne, un pizzico (small pinch)
1) In food processor, first pulse half of the oil plus garlic, nuts & zest until rough chop.
2) Add lemon juice, basil, cheese and remaining oil, then pulse to desired consistency. Adding more olive oil may be necessary…(remember that raw oil is a healthy addition to your meal). Season with salt, pepper & cayenne all to taste
3) Toss into pasta, dress grilled veggies, add to frittata & omelets, etc.
I’ve got big 2015 Foodie Tour news to announce today:
Italian Inspirations is teaming up with Winslow Art Center for a small-group** 8-night/9-day Foodie’s dream trip in 2015. From May 15th – May 22nd, a brand-new Culinary & Artisan Tour of Tuscany itinerary will also feature the added option of participating in sketching workshops with Italian guest artists to the proverbial plate of experiences.
The official itinerary and finalized package pricing will soon be announced, but here’s a “taste” of what to expect:
- Lodging in Impruneta, located 40 minutes south of Florence near the Chianti region (8-night stay, includes arrival aperitivo, welcome dinner, daily breakfast buffet)
- Wine Tastings at small-production Tuscan Estates
- Brewery Tours & Craft Beer Tastings
- Farm Cheese Tasting Lunch – meet the producers & their animals
- Sketching Workshops Supplement Package to feature Italian Artists guiding your hand in panoramic settings (think: rolling hills, Tuscan olive groves & vineyards, lush gardens & orchards, decadent plates of food, full glasses of wine, Italian architecture, sunsets over the Arno River…)
- Bellavista Cooking Lesson using fresh seasonal ingredients
- Fine-Dining Experiences (eat where the locals go)
- Biscotti Factory Visit & Tasting (some of my favorite souvenirs!)
- Florentine Textiles Museum & Outlet
- Artisan Knives & traditional Florentine Paper
- Famous Impruneta Terra Cotta Artisans
** There will be a maximum of 18 travelers, with only 3 single-occupancy rooms, so if you’re interested please contact me directly and I’ll send you pre-registration forms & keep you posted as tour details develop.
If your summer plans include hiking, camping, kayaking, backpacking or a foodie’s picnic en plein air, follow this link to an article I wrote for Full Circle called 3 Easy Dishes for Camping that offers a few menu ideas and some important things to keep in mind as you enjoy the sunny season outdoors…
Buon appetito e buone avventure!!
While I’m often dreaming of magical moments shared when I lived in Italy, there are many reasons why I love being back home in the Pacific Northwest during the summer, where our local bounty always inspires me, both out in nature and back in the kitchen…
I hope you enjoy the season, wherever it finds you, as you take time to savor the special ingredients and memories summer brings.
Cari saluti e a presto,
Ashlee Redfern – Italian Inspirations
Spring is coming!
Which means it’s time to get ready for your upcoming trip to Italy…or to keep dreaming about one manifesting on your horizon.
For Curious Travelers & Beginners, there’s an Italian Language & Culture Workshop on March 14th in Poulsbo from 3-7pm and another on Bainbridge Island Saturday, March 22nd from 10am-2pm. Then, 6-week Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island Parks & Rec class sessions will respectively begin on April 8th & 9th. For more information, please visit my Classes page or call 360.779.9898 for Poulsbo and 206.842.2306 ext. 118 for BI language options.
*** If you’re passionate about Italian culture & cuisine and are looking to join a small group of like-minded travelers, check out the itinerary for my November 2014 Foodie Tour of Tuscany.
Ask me or my previous travelers about the white truffle day, when we witness and taste true local, sustainable, farm-to-table cuisine in action…
Cari amici miei,
This is just a quick thank you to everyone who has helped make 2013 a wonderful year — full of new adventures involving Italian language, culture and cuisine!
After fully digesting the deliciously enriching experiences my group of travelers and I enjoyed during our November 2013 Culinary Tour of Tuscany, I am excited to plan (and pre-announce) a new itinerary for May 2014, which will feature tastings and tours to highlight more of Tuscany’s hidden artisan treasures. I will also offer a November 2014 tour that will closely follow the details of this year’s itinerary. I plan to announce these trips to my followers on this site and on Italian Inspiration’s Facebook page before registration opens to the public, so stay in touch if you’d like to know more. Pictures, itinerary details and pricing to follow soon!
Grazie mille e tanti auguri per buone feste a tutti!
I hope this finds everyone well and ready to enjoy to warm weather, delicious food and fun summer outings… I’m already dreaming of our November trip to Tuscany and have finalized the documents you’ll need to start getting ready and registered. Please take a few moments to read through the Travel Agreement before you print, sign and send the Registration Request Form to me with a $400 deposit for each traveler. Please note that $200 of this is non-refundable, and I will honor an extension of the Paid-in-Full Tour Price discount of $175 through June 15th. For more details or answers to specific questions, please contact me directly. Grazie mille!!
Travel Agreement and Registration Form 2013
Get ready for your upcoming trip to Italy… (or the one you’re still dreaming about…) by registering for one of my 1/2-day Beginners Workshops or an 8-week Italian Language Course through Poulsbo Parks & Recreation — visit their website for more information or call 360.779.9898 to register. Classes are held at the beautiful and accommodating City Hall building in downtown Poulsbo. Tutti sono benvenuti!
Italian Language Basics & Cultural Workshop for Beginners 4.5 hrs
** Beginning grammar, cultural insights and useful phrases for the Curious Traveler **
For anyone interested in traveling to Italy or exploring the language and culture from home, this 1/2-day workshop offers basic grammar, vocabulary and idiomatic expressions to enable the speaker to ask for information, to communicate needs, to understand simple directions and to gain knowledge about Italian culture, customs and geography while learning to speak and having fun! Refreshments provided during a 1/2 hour “Aperitivo” break. $20 materials fee per person, payable to instructor on day of Workshop.
**At least 5 Students needed to activate a Workshop**
4th Fridays: 3:00-7:30pm
April 26th, May 24th, June 28th, July 26th
Intermediate Conversational Italian 8 wks
** For students ready to converse in Present and Past tenses **
È divertente parlare l’italiano! Increase your vocabulary and interact with fellow students using what you know to chat in Italian. Research projects and homework assignments aid in expanding knowledge and connecting you to Italian culture.
Grammar study from Parliamo Italiano! A Communicative Approach, 3rd Ed., by Suzanne Branciforte & Anna Grassi (order book online or purchase in virtual format for E-readers & tablets).
Session 1: April 9 – May 28
Session 2: June 4 – July 23
Continuing Beginners Language Course 8 wks
** For students that have completed an Italian Language Fundamentals course, an Italian Basics Workshop, or have studied Italian in the past **
Continue building on the foundation you’ve established and now let’s really get speaking! Have fun while delving deeper into grammar, vocabulary and conversation. This course is conversation-based and will help the learner develop all four language skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Grammar study from Parliamo Italiano! A Communicative Approach, 3rd Ed., by Suzanne Branciforte & Anna Grassi (purchase book online or in virtual format for E-readers & tablets).
Session 1: April 9 – May 28
Session 2: June 4 – July 23
Buono studio – spero di vederti presto!
Travel to Tuscany for an exclusive foodie experience featuring personalized activities guided by Italian Language Instructor, Personal Chef & Translator, Ashlee Redfern! Contact Ashlee of Italian Inspirations directly to reserve your spot in one of the Culinary Tours of Tuscany in November 2013. Groups will be between 8 and 15 people, so the experience is guaranteed to be special. Package Price Includes: Accommodations, 6 Breakfasts, 1 Lunch, 3 Aperitivi, 4 Dinners, Transfers to and from Activities, Recipe Booklet & Cultural Info, Guided Tours, 2 Cooking Lessons, Wine Tastings, and MORE — Details below…
1st Group: November 8th – November 14th
2nd Group: November 15th – November 21st
Culinary Tour of Tuscany: 7-Day Itinerary
- Meet in Florence, transfer to Impruneta – Hotel Bellavista (30 min. from Florence)
- Introductory Meeting & Welcome Packet
- Italian Language Lesson with Aperitivo (useful culinary vocabulary, snacks & drinks)
- Cena di Benvenuto (Tuscan Welcome Dinner) at Ristorante Bellavista Impruneta
- Mercato Impruneta – Shop the local market
- Frantoio Tour – Taste Impruneta’s fresh-pressed Olive Oil.
- Pranzo in Piazza – Lunch in Impruneta
- 1st Cooking Lesson at Ristorante Bellavista – Tuscan Fall Menu
- Transfer to San Miniato Truffle Festival
- GuidedTruffle Hunt (1.5 hrs)
- Truffle Festival Tour, Tastings & Lunch
- 2nd Cooking Lesson & Dinner with local Chef & Truffle Expert
Walking Tour of Florence:
- Bus to Florence (Porta Romana)
- Scenic Historic walk — Santo Spirito, Palazzo Pitti, Ponte Vecchio
- 1 hour Tour “In Centro” with local journalist, Mauro Bonciani
- Lunch at Osteria de’ Benci (Santa Croce)
- Piazza Duomo & Mercato di San Lorenzo
- Aperitivo at Excelsior, Dinner at il Santo Bevitore
Driving Tour of Tuscany Day:
- Visit at Pastificio Fabbri (famous local pasta maker)
- Verrazzano – Wine Tasting & Tour of Castle
- Montefioralle – Lunch & Tour Medieval hilltop town
- Greve – Museo del Vino Tour & Wine Tasting
- Panzano – Dinner by local celebrity butcher
Free Day in Florence – Choose your own adventure:
- Museums (I will reserve a time for you, please select by 9.30.2013, if desired)
- Shopping, wandering, sight-seeing, lunch, munching, etc… the city is your oyster
- Meet for Rustic Tuscan Dinner in the center of Florence at 7pm
- Transfer back to Hotel Bellavista (bus or taxi, depending on time)
- Last Breakfast at Bellavista, Check-Out, Departures (by 11:30am)
$2250 double room
$2375 single room
To register, contact me at ashleeDOTredfernATgmailDOTcom and I will send you a Travel Agreement & Refund Policy Acknowledgement to sign & submit with a $400 deposit, which includes a $200 non-refundable processing fee
*$175 Early-Registration Discount for Payment-in-Full by April 20, 2013
**Final Payment Due by September 20, 2013**